Healthy Butter Chicken
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Portions: 4-6 ppl
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small red onion diced
2 garlic cloves minced
1 Tbsp finely minced ginger
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp each ground cumin & Garam Masala
1 tsp ground turmeric
1⁄4 tsp chilli flakes
1⁄2 tsp salt
1 3⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
1⁄4 Cup plain Greek low fat yoghurt
1⁄2 Cup water
- Add oil to the frying pan. When hot add onion, garlic, ginger and brown for a few minutes.
- Add cumin, garam masala, chilli flakes, turmeric and salt. Stir until fragrant (1 minute, being careful not to burn the spices).
- Stir in tomato paste and honey.
- Add chicken pieces and stir to coat.
- Add water and yoghurt and simmer covered over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and serve.
Butter chicken traditionally has full fat cream and butter in it, hence its name, which gives it a lovely thick and creamy consistency. This recipe, while missing the enormous amount of fat, still delivers on flavour but without the calories. I like to serve this with naan bread or basmati rice. Quinoa would also be a good substitute.
North African Lamb Stew
This lamb stew is so easy to make, don’t be deterred by the amount of ingredients required. They add to the incredible warming flavours that make this recipe delicious and satisfying.
Black Bean Brownies
No guilt brownies! Made with healthy ingredients and lots of fibre. You will not taste the black beans – promise!
Spaghetti Squash Pasta Bowls
These squash pasta bowls are so easy to make and very nutrient dense. Spaghetti squash has a very stringy texture which mimics a spaghetti feel.