Zucchini Pasta and Almond Pesto
A Message From Our Nutritionist
Zucchini is loaded with Vitamin C, potasium, magnesium and Carotenoids (good for your skin, heart and bones) while being low in calories and carbs.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 5 min
Portions: 6 ppl
- 6 Medium Zucchini
- 2 containers of basil (80 grams total)
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt, ⅛ tsp pepper
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Spiralize zucchini in a bowl, using your preferred spiralizing blade. I like ribbons (pictured above) , however long noodles work perfectly too.
- Salt zucchini with ¼-½ tsp sea salt and stir to coat. This will result in excess water sweating out of the zucchini and therefore less coming out when you are cooking them. Let noodles sweat for up to 1 hr at room temperature. Use paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Roasting garlic: In a small frying pan on low heat , saute whole garlic cloves in 5 Tbsps olive oil, until slightly brown and soft in texture. Use the olive oil infused with the garlic as part of the pesto sauce.
- In a food processor, add pesto sauce ingredients and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 1⁄2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and add spiralized zucchini and cook on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Add pesto sauce to the cooked zucchini. Toss to coat and heat through.
- Serve immediately.
- Pesto sauce can be frozen for up to 3 month. It will also keep in the fridge for 1 week.
This Almond Pesto sauce can be served over regular pasta also. I like the zucchini because it’s a great gluten-free alternative to pasta. I’ve tried many gluten-free pasta brands and by far the best is Rummo from Italy (they make both gluten-free and regular)
North African Lamb Stew
This lamb stew is so easy to make, don’t be deterred by the amount of ingredients required. They add to the incredible warming flavours that make this recipe delicious and satisfying.
Black Bean Brownies
No guilt brownies! Made with healthy ingredients and lots of fibre. You will not taste the black beans – promise!
Spaghetti Squash Pasta Bowls
These squash pasta bowls are so easy to make and very nutrient dense. Spaghetti squash has a very stringy texture which mimics a spaghetti feel.