Creamy Lentil Soup
A Message From Our Nutritionist
Red lentils contain fibre, folate, iron, zin, magnesium and potasium. WOW!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Portions: 4-6 ppl
1 cup red lentil (rinsed and picked-over)
½ cup short grain rice (like arborio or carnaroli)
6 cups organic chicken stock or vegetable broth
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 can full fat coconut milk
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch knob ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp Jamaican curry powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt
⅛ tsp pepper
Juice and zest of ½ Lrg lemon
3 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
Heaping handful of chopped baby spinach
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat
- Saute onions, garlic, ginger, celery and carrots until soft. Add curry and cumin, parsley and stir together.
- Then add lentils, rice, stock, pepper and lemon zest.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to minimum and gently simmer, covered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- The soup should be relatively thick after 30 minutes. If too thick, add water.
- Then add spinach, lemon juice and salt and cook covered for another 5 minutes.
Adjust seasoning to taste (extra salt, pepper or lemon juice).
This soup is so good on so many levels. It’s nourishing and satisfying because it’s thick. It’s not spicy, but has a well balanced flavour. It can be made quickly and tastes like it’s been simmering all day. You’re getting fibre and protein from the lentils & vitamins and minerals from the veggies.
North African Lamb Stew
This lamb stew is so easy to make, don’t be deterred by the amount of ingredients required. They add to the incredible warming flavours that make this recipe delicious and satisfying.
Black Bean Brownies
No guilt brownies! Made with healthy ingredients and lots of fibre. You will not taste the black beans – promise!
Spaghetti Squash Pasta Bowls
These squash pasta bowls are so easy to make and very nutrient dense. Spaghetti squash has a very stringy texture which mimics a spaghetti feel.