Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 24 hrs
Portions: 3 L
- Organic chicken backs (2 lbs), fresh or frozen
- 1-2 carrots
- 2 ribs of celery
- 1 whole onion (skin on)
- 4 cloves garlic (skin on)
- 1 inch knob ginger (unpeeled)
- Handful of fresh herbs (whatever you’ve got…parsley, basil, cilantro, thyme)
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp salt & 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (I use Braggs)
- Water (see directions for amount)
- 1 T olive oil
- Here is the best part…..add all of the above ingredients into your crock pot & top with water to about ½ inch from the top. Turn on the crock pot to low for 24 hrs. No stirring or opening the lid is required.
- After 24 hrs, cool slightly. Strain the bone broth and reserve the liquid only in glass containers. (see pic)
- Adjust the salt (to taste)
- Refrigerate once cooled.
Keeps for 1 week, refrigerated or may be frozen (not in glass). Gently reheat to enjoy.
This is really a”set-it and forget-it” recipe. The difference between this and making chicken stock is in the amount of cooking time. Stock can be made in a few hours. The reason that you cook this so long is to extract all the nutrients out of the chicken bones which amps up the nutritional value. Collagen found in chicken back and bones is great for skin, teeth, joints, bones and nails. The addition of the apple cider vinegar ensures the nutrients leach out of the bones into the broth. This bone broth is oozing with umami. Great for your gut. Also, scientifically proven to help with colds. Honest.
No guilt brownies! Made with healthy ingredients and lots of fibre. You will not taste the black beans – promise!
These squash pasta bowls are so easy to make and very nutrient dense. Spaghetti squash has a very stringy texture which mimics a spaghetti feel.
The recipe is going to be your go to for fresh crusty bread – no need to go to the bakery anymore!