Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Portions: 4 ppl
- 1 Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1½ Cups chopped fennel bulb (and fronds)
- ¼ tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- 2 good pinches saffron
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 3 sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup canned cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Cups veg stock
- 4 Cups chicken stock
- ¾ Cup Riesling wine
- 1 Cup water
- 8 large raw shrimp, peeled (reserve shells for stock)
- 12 large clams
- 12 muscles, cleaned and debearded
- ½ lb Large cubed halibut or other white firm fish. If you have the fish bones go ahead and use them in stock
- Chopped flat leaf Parsley (to garnish)
- Add butter and oil to a large stock pot. On med-low heat saute onion, fennel, all spices and garlic until aromatic and slightly brown.
- Increase temperature to medium and stir in tomatoes.
- Toss in shrimp shells and fish bones. Deglaze with white wine until alcohol is cooked off. (2-3 minutes)
- Add in all remaining liquids (water, stocks). Gently simmer uncovered for approx. 30 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt. If too watery, cook longer.
- Strain broth through a fine mesh strainer. Return broth to the stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Add fish and seafood and cook for 2-3 minutes until shrimp are pink and all clams and muscles and open. Discard any that don’t open.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
This is adapted from my husband’s recipe. He would buy roasted garlic cloves and sundried cherry tomatoes at Whole Foods. You don’t need to go to such trouble but his version was certainly rich and satisfying. A fresh crusty baguette is the perfect accompaniment to dip in the soup. Enjoy.
North African Lamb Stew
This lamb stew is so easy to make, don’t be deterred by the amount of ingredients required. They add to the incredible warming flavours that make this recipe delicious and satisfying.
Black Bean Brownies
No guilt brownies! Made with healthy ingredients and lots of fibre. You will not taste the black beans – promise!
Spaghetti Squash Pasta Bowls
These squash pasta bowls are so easy to make and very nutrient dense. Spaghetti squash has a very stringy texture which mimics a spaghetti feel.