Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hrs
Portions: 4 ppl
- 1 package Italian sausages (4-5 sausages)
- 1 sm onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3T tomato paste
- 1 small (398 ml) can fire roasted or regular diced tomatoes
- ⅛ tsp chilli peppers
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 small sized spaghetti squash(cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed)
- ½ cup dried green or brown lentils (rinsed)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Bake squash for 30 mins face down and 25 mins face up. Remove when finished and set aside.
While the squash is baking, prepare the filling:
- Take the sausage out of casings and fry on medium heat. Break apart the sausage meat until the meat is a crumbly like consistency. Then add diced onions and minced garlic.
- Saute on med until slightly brown. (approx. 5 mins)
- Add tomato paste and combine.
- Add diced tomatoes, cinnamon, fennel, and stir.
- Add lentils and 3/4 cup of water.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 mins, checking to ensure there is enough moisture for lentils to absorb. If not add more water.
Time to assemble the filling into the cooked spaghetti squash:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put equal amounts of meat sauce filling into each squash half. Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake open for 20-25 minutes until brown and bubbling.
You can omit the lentils if it’s not your thing. I like the addition of lentils for its fibre and protein value. They also cook relatively quickly without soaking or pre-cooking. If you don’t have parmesan cheese, mozzarella or provolone will also work. For a vegan version, sub any plant based ground crumbles and vegan cheese.
This lentil soup recipes is ready in 1 hour or less. It’s hearty, heart healthy and makes for a perfect meal on a cold winter day.
This is a healthy twist on Pesto Pasta using zucchini for the noodles and a toasted almond pesto sauce.
This salad could be served as a meal because it’s nutrient dense and filling. This grain based salad contains gluten but is also fibre rich.